27 August 2019
Snapchat has released a major update for Lens Studio that brings new augmented reality (AR) features with a focus on making it easier for everyone to create AR effects. The update brings a significant change to the platform that debuted about two years ago and has been a part of Snap's plans to become one of the crucial players in AR space.
With Lens Studio 2.1, Snapchat has added a total of 14 new Landmarker templates spread across different parts of the world. These templates are related to specific real-world landmarks where creators can add augmented reality effects and share with others.
The new Lens Studio Landmarker include:
- Arc de Triomphe at Paris, France
- Astronomical Clock at Prague, Czech Republic
- Brandenburg Gate at Berlin, Germany
- El Castillo at Chichen Itza, Mexico
- Galata Tower at Istanbul, Turkey
- Gateway of India at Mumbai, India
- Leaning Tower of Pisa at Pisa, Italy
- Natural History Museum at London, UK
- Neues Rathaus at Munich, Germany
- Qasr Al-Farid at Mada'in Saleh, Saudi Arabia
- Great Sphinx of Giza at Giza, Egypt
- Statue of Liberty at New York City, USA
- Taj Mahal at Agra, India
- Tower Bridge at London, UK
Snap has further added a few more AR templates that are aimed at offering more creative options to creators. There is a new Countdown template that can be used for adding a countdown to any specific event along with 3D glasses and hat. Users can now add face that is tracked everywhere in a video, hairstyles can be modified, AR makeup can be applied, add customized AR particles behind one's head, and add 2D images to certain body parts like head, shoulders, neck, and chest.
If you want to make use of the Lens Studio 2.1, it is accessible via the official website. The team has also added a new interactive guide that makes it easier for newbies to get started and understand how everything works.