22 March 2017
Apple Watch shipments reached a record high in Q4, 2016, shipping over 6 million devices, according to a report from Canalys a week ago. And, the rise in demands and of course, the shipments made the new Series 2 Watches from Apple to go out of stock.
Apple has never renewed the hardware inventory frequently, so we are unsure if these watch models will make a comeback or not. However, this has been a trend that when the launch of the new Watch models is near, the old ones go out of stock. But, we can’t deny the fact that the new models will not come before the end of 2017. Calling the new launch the main culprit for the lack of Series 2 Watch models in the store doesn’t make any sense, at least for now.
The same out of stock incident recorded last year, but it was happened in June 2016 and looking the state of these models now, it’s unlikely that Apple will not refill the stock. However, Apple Watch stock shortages aren’t uncommon, bands and bundles go out of stock months ahead of a refresh. But given Apple’s commitment to timely band releases, it’s likely that the company will reintroduce this stock.
Looking at the Apple.com US Store, the largest shortages for Apple Watch Series 2 bundles are mainly for models with Woven Nylon bands. Of the six Series 2 models that include Woven Nylon bands, five have models that are listed as "Sold Out" on Apple.com and in the Apple Store iOS app. Also, all aluminum Apple Watch Series 1 and Series 2 models with the Sport Bands are out of stock.
Apple Watch with Aluminum Case
- 38mm Silver Aluminum Case with Pearl Woven Nylon
- 38mm Gold Aluminum Case with Yellow/Light Gray Woven Nylon
- 42mm Gold Aluminum Case with Toasted Coffee/Caramel Woven Nylon
- 42mm Rose Gold Aluminum Case with Space Orange/Anthracite Woven Nylon
- 38mm and 42mm Space Gray Aluminum Case with Black Woven Nylon
Apple Watch with Stainless Steel Case
- 38mm and 42mm Stainless Steel Case with Saddle Brown Classic Buckle
- 38mm Stainless Steel Case with Midnight Blue Modern Buckle (all band sizes)
- 42mm Stainless Steel Case with Midnight Blue Leather Loop (both band sizes)
- 38mm Stainless Steel Case with Link Bracelet
- 38mm Space Black Stainless Steel Case with Space Black Link Bracelet
The only in-stock Woven Nylon model is the Rose Gold Aluminum Case with Light Pink/Midnight Blue Woven Nylon, and a couple of Stainless Steel bundles are also readily available to purchase, including the basic White Sport Band, Black Sport Band, and Milanese Loop options.
For comparison, it should be noted that back in June last year, 35 different Apple Watch bands were tagged as “Sold Out” on Apple.com. But, today just five bands are unavailable.