21 September 2017
Earlier today Apple has started rolling out the biggest release of iOS for all of the compatible devices. iOS 11 is available worldwide to download now and you can do so by going to Settings > About > Software Update. Apple has added a plethora of features in the 2017 release of the most advanced mobile operating system and it will be a game changer for the compatible iPad owners. So let's see what you are going to get with the new update.
iPad will see the biggest change in productivity and functionality with iOS 11. The all-new Dock provides quick access to favorite and frequently used apps and documents from any screen and makes it easier to work with multiple apps with Split View and now Slide Over. Apple has enabled drag and drop feature and more desktop-like multitasking features with iOS 11 into the iPad. You can drag and drop anything like photos, messages, text, hyperlinks and send it to any other app be it messaging or iWork. With iPad Pro and Apple Pencil, iOS 11 brings inline drawing and a new Instant Notes feature that opens Notes from the Lock Screen by simply tapping Apple Pencil on the display.
The new Files app is like the Finder on the macOS which holds all of your iCloud Drive files and folders and makes iPad take a one step closer to become a laptop replacement.
Apple is heavily investing in Augmented Reality as with iOS 11 Apple provides the largest AR platform in the world. These capabilities are ignited by the ARKit the company announced at WWDC 2017 and the plethora of sensors a majority of the Apple's fleet of devices have. The platform can be leveraged in a number of industries like fashion, shopping, industrial design and especially gaming.
The photo and camera department has also been enhanced in the iOS 11 update. The Portrait mode now uses optical image stabilization, true tone flash, and HDR to take even more dynamic and dramatic photos. Loop and Bounce effects create continuous video loops for Live Photos, while Long Exposure creatively captures time and movement. The Memories are also optimized to play in portrait mode and new memories depending on the photos are created automatically.
The iOS 11 brings the biggest change to the App Store design since its inception making discovering apps and games easier than ever before. Rather only paying attention to the apps, the App Store now shows daily stories about developers and their experience. The Store updates with a summed up daily content with the app of the day, a story and other app lists. App Store for iMessage is also easier to access with a redesigned app drawer.
Siri has become more natural and useful with iOS 11. It has a more natural voice and sounds even less robotic. Siri is now able to translate US English to different languages starting with French, German, Italian, Mandarin Chinese and Spanish. Siri uses on-device learning to deliver more personal experiences and offers suggestions based on personal usage of Safari, News, Mail, Messages and more.
The peer to peer payments with Apple Pay will come this fall with an update to iOS 11 and Watch OS 4. The new feature can be used directly from the iMessage app drawer to make personal payments to your friends and family. You can even tell Siri to pay someone using the credit and debit cards in Wallet app. When users get paid, they receive the money in their new Apple Pay Cash card in Apple Wallet and can use the money instantly.
This new feature automatically makes your iPhone detect whether you are driving or not using the WiFi doppler effect, hence making your phone unresponsive to the notifications and calls until you reach your destination. This eliminates distractions while driving and ensures road safety. Users have the option of sending an auto-reply to their Favorites, contacts or recents to let them know they are driving.
With an update to iOS 11 this fall, Apple Maps will be able to show indoor floor wise plan of the shopping centers and airports around the world including: Amsterdam (AMS), London Heathrow (LHR), Las Vegas (LAS), Los Angeles (LAX), Miami (MIA), Philadelphia (PHL) and San Jose (SJC). With turn by turn navigation in iOS 11, drivers will get lane guidance to help users better prepare for the next turn, as well as speed limits to help users stay informed.
Apple Music will allow following your friends with iOS 11 from social media like Facebook. Subscribers can create a profile and follow their friends to listen to what their friends are enjoying. Apple Music subscribers can also begin receiving notifications when friends follow them, new music is released and more — so they never miss a beat
- All-new App Store designed for discovering great apps and games every day
- New Today tab helps you discover new apps and games with stories, how-to guides and more
- New Games tab to find new games and see what's most popular with top game charts
- Dedicated Apps tab with top picks, dedicated app charts and app categories
- App pages include more video previews, Editors' Choice badges, easier access to user ratings and information about in-app purchases
- New Siri voice is more natural and expressive
- Translate English words and phrases into Chinese, French, German, Italian or Spanish (beta)
- Siri suggestions based on your usage of Safari, News, Mail and Messages
- Works with notes apps to create to-do-lists, notes and reminders
- Works with banking apps for account transfer and balances
- Works with apps that display QR codes
- Hindi and Shanghainese dictation
- Portrait mode now supports optical image stabilisation, HDR and True Tone flash.
- Photos and videos will take up half the space with new HEIF and HEVC image and video formats
- Redesigned set of nine filters optimised for natural skin tones
- Automatically identify and scan QR codes
- Loop, Bounce and Long Exposure Live Photo effects
- Mute, trim or choose a new key photo for Live Photos
- Memory Movies automatically adapt content for portrait and landscape orientation
- More than a dozen new memory types including pets, babies, weddings and sporting events
- People album is more accurate and stays up to date across devices with iCloud Photo Library
- Animated GIF support
- Indoor maps for major airports and shopping centres
- Lane guidance and speed limit information with Turn-by-turn directions
- One-handed zoom with double tap and swipe
- Interact with Flyover by moving your device
Do Not Disturb while Driving
- Automatically silences notifications while driving and keeps iPhone silent and the display off
- Optional iMessage auto-reply to alert selected contacts that you're driving
New features designed for iPad
- An all-new Dock provides quick access to your favorite and recently used apps and can even be shown on top of active apps
- Dock resizes so you can add all your favorite apps
- Recently used and Continuity apps are available on the right
- Enhanced Slide Over and Split View
- Apps can be easily started in Slide Over and Split View from the Dock
- Slide Over and background apps now run simultaneously
- Apps in Slide Over and Split View can now be placed on the left side of the screen
- Drag and drop
- Move text, images and files between apps on iPad
- Multi-Touch to move multiple items at the same time
- Spring-loading to move content between apps
- Markup works across documents, PDFs, web pages, photos and more
- Instantly mark up anything in iOS - just place Apple Pencil on what you want to mark up
- Create a PDF and mark up anything that can be printed
- Instantly create a new note by tapping on the Lock screen with Apple Pencil
- Inline drawing available bt simply placing Apple Pencil in the body of the note
- Search handwritten text
- Document scanner auto-corrects for skewing and uses image filters to remove shadows
- Table support to organise and display information
- Pin important notes to the top of the list
- All-new Files app to browse, search and organise files
- Works with iCloud Drive and third-party cloud files providers
- Recents view for quick access to recently used files across all apps and cloud services
- Create folders and sort files by name, date, size and tags
- Flick down on letter keys to enter numbers, symbols and puncuation marks on iPad
- One-handed keyboard support on iPhone
- new keyboards for Armenian, Azerbaijani, Belarusian, Georgian, Irish, Kannada, malyalam, Maori, Odia, Swahili and Welsh
- English inpot inpute 10-key Pinyin keyboard
- English input on the Japanese Romaji keyboard
- New accessory types including Airplay 2 speakers, sprinklers, and taps
- Expanded occupancy-, time- and accessory-based triggers
- QR code and tap-to-pair accessory setup support
- Augmented Reality technologies that apps from the App Store can use to deliver content on top of real-world scenes for interactive gaming, immersive shopping experiences, industrial design and more
- Core machine learning technologies that apps from the App Store can use to deliver intelligent features with machine learning data processed on device for high performance and user privacy.
There are other updates and improvements also, but these were the significant ones that iOS 11 will be bringing to the devices that lie in the palm of your hands. Let us know how you like the iOS 11 on your iDevice using the comments below.