09 March 2020
Asus ventured into gaming smartphones with the release of the original ROG Phone last year. It was released with Android 8.1 Oreo but after over a year's wait, it is finally receiving the much-awaited update. Asus has announced that it has started ROG Phone Android 9.0 Pie update rollout.
The update comes with firmware version number 16.0410.1910.91 and is an over the air (OTA) release. It means once it becomes available for your particular unit, you will receive an update notification. You can also check for the update manually by visiting the software update option after opening the system settings.
Here is the official ROG Phone 2 Android Pie update changelog:
- Upgraded system to Android P
- Removed Page Marker, ZeniMoji, Report Location in Safeguard, weather animation setting, AI charging
- Removed the Yandex cloud option of File Manager Application
- Upgraded Game Center to Armoury Crate with whole new design
- Added "Adaptive brightness", "Adaptive Battery", "New notifications", "Status bar icon manager", "Screen recorder", and "Local backup" in Settings
- Upgraded Game Genie panel with new design and features
- Added Android P "Swipe up on Home button" gesture
- Support 24-hour forecast in Weather application
- Revamped Mobile Manager, Contacts, File Manager, Calculator, Clock, Gallery, and Weather applications
- Redesigned volume control panel following Android P
Asus has been performing well when it comes to releasing software updates this year. It has already updated ZenFone 5Z and ZenFone 6Z aka Asus 6Z to the latest Android 10. We can expect it to upgrade a few more devices to a newer Android version before the end of the year.