29 April 2019
It has been over a year since Google rebranded Android Wear to Wear OS by Google. In this time period, it has released a number of updates to make the software for wearables to be simpler, more productive, and more intuitive. Wear OS is now set to receive a new update that adds new swipeable widgets called Tiles.
Tiles are meant to help Wear OS users perform common actions faster. There are a total of six Tiles featuring Goals, Next event, Forecast (weather), Heart rate, Headlines, and Timer. Here is a brief explanation of what each of these tiles actually does:
- Goals: Shows fitness goals and your progress towards them
- Next event: Shows the next event on your calendar
- Forecast: Weather forecast for the selected location
- Heart rate: Current heart rate
- Headlines: Read the latest headlines to stay updated
- Timer: Instantly set a timer for anything
The user will have the freedom to arrange these widgets in any order as per his preference or need. These can be dragged and dropped to make the right order. As for accessing the widgets, one simply need to swipe left or right on the display and it will work.
Google says Tiles functionality will be released on Wear OS over the next month. The exact functionality and availability of widgets will vary depending on the watch, OS, and location.