02 March 2020
This year’s MWC event in Barcelona is scheduled to happen at the end of June. It is going to be an in-person event this time but unfortunately, some major participators are withdrawing their names from the event. Sony, Ericsson, and Nokia are among a few companies that have publically announced their absence from the major event.
The reason is simple and that is the deadly coronavirus. The pandemic has not completely gone. In fact, new strains and new waves of the COVID-19 have been reported in some parts of the world already. Vaccinations are going on but it will take much time for the world to heal.
Ericsson was the first company to deny its presence at the event. According to CNET, Ericsson said in a statement on Tuesday,
"In view of the continuing impacts from Covid-19 and our primary consideration towards our people, their health and well-being, we have decided not to participate at MWC 2021. The decision, whilst regrettable, reflects our precautionary approach to managing the pandemic from a people and travel perspective whilst vaccination programs are rolled out globally."
Also reportedly, a spokesperson from Sony has given this statement –
"Sony Mobile has taken the decision that it will not be participating in MWC 2021. As the world increasingly shifts towards digital and online opportunities to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), Sony Mobile will communicate in ways that can deliver our exciting product news to a wider audience."
Later Nokia also denied its participation at the event by giving this statement,
The health of our employees, customers and partners is of paramount importance to us," company said in a statement. "Given the international nature of the event and with the global vaccine roll out still in its early phases, we have made the considered decision to instead participate in only the virtual event.
Both Sony and Nokia have although confirmed they will be the part of the event virtually. Ericsson didn’t say whether it will participate in the Mobile World Congress virtually.
The GSMA, the organizers of MWC have reportedly confirmed that will plan to create a virtual platform to support companies and journalists who do not wish to or unable to attend the event.
Reportedly GSMA has said,
"We appreciate that it will not be possible for everyone to attend MWC Barcelona 2021. This is why we have developed an industry-leading virtual event platform that will ensure everyone can enjoy the unique MWC experience."
Mobile World Congress that happens at the end of February every year got swapped by Shanghai’s event this time.
MWC 2021 is scheduled to happen on June 28 and will end on July 1, 2021, in Barcelona, Spain.
A couple of days back, GSMA presented a health and safety plan for whosoever attending the MWC 2021 event. According to the announcement, the plan takes a layered approach to create a safe environment for staff, workers, exhibitors, visitors, suppliers, partners, and the local community.
Layers include frequent testing, contact tracing, touchless environments, re-vamped catering, occupancy monitoring, upgrades to facility infrastructure, increased medical staff and personal commitments like adhering to social distancing.
If you are attending the MWC 2021 event in person, you can take a look at these plans thoroughly by following this announcement.
MWC 2020 was one of the major global events to get canceled last year as the novel coronavirus was in its full swing. Since the impact was huge last year, companies decided to stay away from the event and GSMA then announced a digital-only event.
Let’s see what other names could join the list of companies not participating in the MWC 2021.