23 May 2018
HTC U12+ is now official with Edge Sense 2 and powerful specs. Well, thanks to several leaks the phone wasn’t actually a mystery. The device comes with dual front and back cameras and is also IP68 certified. The phone has a 6-inch Quad HD+ (2880 x 1440) Super LCD 6 display and it doesn't have that display notch. It comes with a new pressure-sensitive button and a new touch feedback experience
The HTC U12+ features the same Edge Sense feature that was first introduced in U11. This feature makes the device squeezable which means you just need to slide the edge of the phone and it will enable specific activities for you. These are the pressure sensitive sides of the device that will invoke several things for you. The idea is to allow the users to access the device with ease while they use only one hand.
With the Edge Sense 2, you can also Hold for Smart Rotate and Smart Dim; Double tap for a mini screen for easy one-handed use, or as a back key or navigation bar; Customize gestures to launch the camera, voice assistant, turn on the flashlight, and more.
The HTC U12+ has 12MP main camera with f1.75 aperture and a 16MP secondary camera with f2.6 aperture. The device also supports dual cameras on the front. The main camera has Ultraspeed Autofocus 2 (Phase detection + Laser autofocus). It supports optical zoom1.85x to 2x and digital zoom up to 10x. It has OIS support and has Bokeh mode, AR sticker. It can record 4K video at 60fps; supports Sonic Zoom, Audio Boost, and 3D Audio recording with 4 microphones.
HTC also advertises with its "Ultrapixel" technology and "HDR Boost 2" that should let more light into the camera. On the front, there are two 8MP cameras with f2.0 aperture. The article cites HTC’s claims that the encryption method is safer than the ordinary face recognition.
The HTC U12+ has the company's beloved BoomSound speakers which offer 50% louder audio than the HTC U11. It will come in Titanium Black, Flame Red, and Translucent Blue. The device runs Android 8.0 Oreo.
- 6 inches QHD display, 18: 9, 2880 x 1440 pixels resolution
- Snapdragon 845 (eight cores, up to 2.8 gigahertz power)
- 6 GB of RAM
- 64/128 GB of internal memory, expandable up to 2TB using microSD
- 12 MP main camera, aperture f / 1.75; Secondary Camera (Tele): 16 MP, aperture f / 2.6
- 2x 8MP, aperture f / 2.0, HDR Boost 2 front camera
- Android 8.0 Ore, upgradeable to Android P
- Battery: 3,500 mAh
- HTC Edge Sense 2
- Always-on listening support for Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa
- 156.6 x 73.9 x 8.7-9.7mm dimensions, 188grams.
- USB 3.1 Gen 1, Type-C, Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4 & 5GHz) with MU-MIMO, NFC
- Supports DisplayPort over USB Type-C
- HTC Connect for wirelessly streaming media
The retail price of the HTC U12+ is $799 and the unlocked HTC U12+ is compatible with AT&T, T‑Mobile, and Verizon Networks. The device is available on company's official site for pre-order. Pricing in Europe is set at €799 / £699 for the 64GB variant (no bigger storage option available), while in Canada the U12 Plus will cost C$1,099 with 64GB or C$1,169 with 128GB. No details on the shipping yet.