11 March 2019
LG was long rumored to be working on a 5G phone along with a foldable phone and both slated to make a debut at the MWC this year. The South Korean company has announced in LG V50 ThinQ which is basically an updated version of LG V40 ThinQ but comes with the latest internals to support 5G network.
The LG V50 ThinQ joins the likes of Samsung Galaxy S10+, Xiaomi’s Mi Mix 3 5G version and Huawei’s foldable 5G phone the Huawei Mate X. On the specification part, as mentioned earlier, the LG V50 ThinQ borrows a lot from the previous generation LG V40 ThinQ and comes with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 SoC with 5G capabilities, thanks to Qualcomm’s X50 5G modem, maybe, a larger 4000 mAh battery and a new cooling system to keep the device temperature under control.
The LG V50 ThinQ houses a notched 6.4 inches QHD+ OLED FullVision display with a 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 6GB of RAM and 128GB of internal storage. Since 5G connectivity itself is in its nascent stages, it may not be able to drive handset sales hence LG has thrown that bit extra with the LG V50 ThinQ. The company has added a removable secondary display to enhance productivity and offers better multimedia consumption.
The secondary 6.2-inches OLED display can be attached to the phone like a case and is powered by the phones' internal 4000 mAh battery which supports QuickCharge 3.0. This extra display can be used while gaming, as well as multitasking, and will be sold separately. Taking about her optics, the LG V50 ThinQ comes with a triple-lens setup with a 16-megapixel ultrawide lens, 12-megapixel primary lens, and 12-megapixel telephoto zoom lens. While on the front it houses a dual camera setup with an 8-megapixel sensor and a 5-megapixel sensor.
The company has not announced its availability or the pricing of LG V50 ThinQ, yet, though in the US it may come with Sprint very soon. The secondary display which will be sold separately also does not have a price or a release date yet.
- 6.4-inch 19.5:9 QHD+ OLED FullVision (3120 x 1440 / 538ppi)
- 6.2-inch Full HD+ OLED FullVision (2160 x 1080) secondary display – optional, available via accessory
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 with Snapdragon X50 5G Modem
- 6GB of RAM
- 128GB of storage
- Triple-camera: 16-megapixel Super Wide (F1.9 / 1.0μm / 107˚); 12-megapixel Standard (F1.5 / 1.4μm / 78˚); 12-megapixel Telephoto (F2.4 / 1.0μm / 45˚)
- Dual-lens selfie camera: 8-megapixel Standard (F1.9 / 1.12μm / 80˚), 5-megapixel Wide (F2.2 / 1.12μm / 90˚)
- Fingerprint sensor
- USB-C connectivity
- Wi-Fi 802.11 ac
- Bluetooth 5.0
- 4,000 mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0 technology
- IP68 water and dust resistance
- Android 9.0 Pie
- Size: 159.2 x 76.1 x 8.3mm
- Weight: 183g