16 September 2019
As we expected through official teasers from last month, LG has taken wraps off its newest Dual Display Android flagship called LG G8X ThinQ. It is a standard 2019 Android flagship with the uniqueness of Dual Display accessory that has been improved from the first version we saw with the LG V50 ThinQ.
The new Dual Display accessory is like a flip case for the smartphone which replaces the previously used pogo-pin mechanism. It has the same size, resolution, and panel type as the main LG G8X ThinQ display which is 6.4-inch Full HD+ OLED FullVision display. Both the displays look identical when they are side by side as the second one even has a fake notch to maintain the symmetry. There is also a hinge called 360 Freestop Hinge that will allow users to set the second display at different angles depending on the need or preference. Another change is that it has an additional 2.1-inch Cover Display on the outside that can be used for seeing important notifications and information like time, date, and temperature.
The dual displays can be used for a number of purposes depending on what use cases apps are compatible with. One can use it for running two separate apps on the two displays like watching YouTube and browsing an article on the web. It also supports extending a single app to both displays for offering a bigger real estate. While playing video games, one of the displays can be transformed into a fully-customizable gaming pad. And when you have to write anything where you want the keyboard to be bigger, you can have a full keyboard dedicated to an entire display. It can be helpful while writing longer like an email or making some quick edits to an article of yours.
As for the LG G8X ThinQ specifications, here is everything you need to know:
- 6.4-inch Full HD+ (2340 x 1080 pixels) OLED FullVision display with HDR10 and 19.5:9 aspect ratio
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 processor
- 6GB of RAM
- 128GB onboard storage
- Dual rear cameras: 12-megapixel primary sensor with f/1.8 aperture and 13-megapixel super wide-angle sensor (136-degree FoV) with f/2.4 aperture
- 32-megapixel front camera with f/1.9 aperture
- 4,000mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 fast charging
- Android 9 Pie with LG's custom skin
- In-display fingerprint scanner
- 32-bit HiFi Quad DAC with DTS:X 3D surround sound
- IP68 water and dust resistance
- MIL-STD-810G certified
Both LG G8X ThinQ and LG Dual Display accessory will be released sometime in the fourth quarter of the year. The pricing details are under wraps and will likely be revealed at the time of the launch.