11 January 2018
Microsoft pushed the customary Patch Tuesday update for Windows 10 on PC and Mobile this week after it rolled out Build 15252 for Mobile Insiders on Slow Ring last month. Days after the company’s Windows 10 head Joe Belfiore revealed that neither software nor hardware is being focused on for development inside the Windows 10 Mobile, Microsoft has started seeding the Insider Build 15254.1 of Windows 10 for Mobile users inside Slow & Fast Rings.
The update includes several fixes from the cumulative KB4041676 and Build 15252 update and comes as a release candidate for Windows 10 Fall Creators Update for Mobile. There have been a few additions to the firmware on the enterprise as the changelog lists below:
- Two factor Authentication: We are excited to announce that we’ve introduced a two factor authentication unlock mechanism for Windows 10 Mobile. With two factor unlock, an enterprise can enforce an additional security layer to their sensitive data via an MDM policy. Once two factor unlock is enabled, a phone user will have to enter a numeric pin followed by an enterprise-defined factor to unlock the phone. An example of an enterprise-defined factor is a companion device such as an NFC tag which can be used to unlock a phone using our Companion Device Framework sample app and documentation.
- AppLocker Improvements: A number of customers have provided feedback on the warning prompts for apps that are blocked by enterprise policies. We’ve improved the UX and updated the MDM SyncML scripts associated with the policies. Application restrictions can be configured by either the ApplicationManagement CSP or AppLocker CSP.
- VPN Improvements: In the modern corporate workplace, mobility is mainstream and secure access to corporate data via VPN has become the norm. We are bringing a range of improvements and features that enhance the reliability of VPN on Windows 10 Mobile. The key updates to our VPN capability are
- Lots of reliability improvements for VPN connectivity in Windows 10 Mobile.
- IKEv2 Sleep and Power Enhancements.
- VPN completes all pending actions before sleep and disconnects.
- Automatic reconnection on resume.
- Force tunneled improvements for UWP platform.
- Proxy improvements for UWP VPN profile.
- Enabling MMS usage when VPN is connected.