16 July 2021
At the ongoing Computex 2021, AMD took the stage to announce its new Radeon RX 6000M series of mobile GPUs. It features RDNA 2 architecture and is the company's best attempt yet to take on NVIDIA in the notebook gaming space. The series has three GPU models named Radeon RX 6800M, RX 6700M, and RX 6600M.
The Radeon RX 6800M is the flagship offering in the lineup and a direct NVIDIA RTX 3080 rival. It targets gaming notebooks with a minimum power of 145W. It clocks at 2300MHz, supports up to 12GB of DDR6 memory, and 96MB of Infinity cache. It is capable of offering 1440p gaming performance at 120 frames per second.
As for the Radeon RX 6700M and RX 6600M, these will be configurable with notebook power up to 135W and 100W respectively. There is 10GB and 8GB of DDR6 memory along with 80MB and 32MB of Infinity cache. The first one will also deliver 1440p gaming but at 100fps. The latter one will deliver 1080p gaming at about 100fps as well.
AMD is claiming significant performance improvements as well as better battery efficiency. There is said to be about a 50% boost in the performance speed and up to 43% lower battery usage. Even though it is recommended to game on laptops when they are plugged into a power source, the latter should help in situations when you have to game on the laptop battery.
The company has further announced a new AMD Advantage certification program. It is similar to Intel Evo and will differentiate notebooks certified to deliver the best AMD gaming experience from the ones that are not. There is a set of requirements that device makers will need to fulfill if they wish to receive the certification.
AMD Advantage requirements:
- AMD Ryzen 5000 mobile processors, Radeon 6000 graphics and Radeon software
- Support for AMD’s Smart Acess Memory and Smart Shift technology
- A display that reaches at least 300 nits of brightness, covers either 100 percent of the sRGB gamut or 72 percent of the NTSC gamut, has at least a 144Hz refresh rate and low latency, and supports AMD Freesync
- At least one NVME PCIE Express Gen 3 SSD
- The ability to maintain a surface temperature under 40 degrees Celsius on the WASD keys
- Over 10 hours of video playback on battery