29 April 2021
In an effort to make the whole process a lot more convenient, Telegram has now updated its application to support importing WhatsApp chats. The feature is currently limited to the iOS version but is expected to arrive on Android as well. It is available with the latest Telegram application version available on the App Store.
Steps to import WhatsApp chats to Telegram:
- Launch WhatsApp and visit the chat that you want to import.
- Visit chat settings and scroll down to tap the Export Chat option.
- Choose whether you want to export chat with or without media files.
- You will then see the iOS share-sheet where you will have to choose Telegram from the list.
- The final step is to choose the Telegram chat to which you want to import.
This way, your selected WhatsApp chat will get imported to selected Telegram chat in a few moments. The exact time will vary depending on the chat size which will also depend on whether you have included media files. The good thing is that Telegram even lets you create a new group chat if you do not want to import to an existing chat. If you choose an existing chat, the app will mark the chats as "imported" so that you can differentiate between imported and existing chats.