18 October 2018
Samsung has started to roll out a new Galaxy Note 8 update which brings AR Emoji and Super Slow-Motion videos support. Both these features were debuted with the Galaxy S9 earlier this year but now, they are being made available for older devices as well. It goes without saying that the Galaxy Note 9 already has them.
Starting with AR Emoji, it is a feature which allows users to create an animated avatar of themselves which can then be used like emoji. It makes use of the device's front camera to scan the face of the user which is then transformed into an animated version. These emojis can then be shared with others via messaging apps and on social media like you use traditional emojis. This is the same as Apple's Animoji feature for selected iPhones.
As for Super Slow-Motion, it is what you are getting from the name. It is the feature to help you click slow-motion videos which are super-slow. The exact technical details for the Galaxy Note 8 are unknown at the moment but on the Galaxy S9, one can shoot 0.2 seconds of Super Slow-Motion video at 960fps in 720p resolution. It further supports 0.4 seconds of videos at 480fps in 720p resolution. The first one is available under the automatic mode and the second one is during the manual mode.
It is an OTA update which means you should receive a notification for the same on your Galaxy Note 8 anytime soon. It can be downloaded and installed like any other app. Once you have done so, all you need to do is to open the camera app to find both the new features.
74.8 x 162.5 x 8.6 mm
6.3 inches - 2960x1440 px
- 6.3-inch Quad HD+ (2960 × 1440 pixels) Super AMOLED Infinity display with 522ppi, 18.5:9 aspect ratio
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 with Adreno 540 GPU / Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 9 Series 8895 processor with Mali-G71 MP20 GPU
- 6GB RAM
- 64GB/128GB/256GB storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with microSD
- Android 7.1.1 (Nougat)
- 12MP Dual Pixel rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.7 aperture, wide-angle lens, OIS, a secondary 12MP camera with telephoto lens, f2.4 aperture, OIS
- 8MP autofocus front-facing camera with f/1.7 aperture, wide-angle lens
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth v 5.0, GPS with GLONASS, USB Type-C 3.1, NFC, MST
- 3300mAh battery with fast charging both on wired and wireless