10 September 2020
Google has finally rolled out Android 11 after several betas and the good news is, it is coming to phones other than Pixel phones as well. This bunch of “other” phones mainly includes OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro, and the update is ready for the users living in North America, Europe, and India.
Android 11 brings a myriad of new features so that you can manage your conversations better and get good control over your privacy. Google enlists new features that are coming with its Android 11 rollout. These mainly include Bubbles, prioritize conversations, built-in screen recording, redesigned media controls, and many more.
- Conversations between your friends and you are now moved to a dedicated space in the notifications section so that you can easily spot them. You can also put these conversations to priority from the settings so that you never miss any important message from them.
- Bubbles creates chat heads that you can drag anywhere on the screen and do other stuff side by side multitasking.
- Android 11 brings a screen recorder as well which means you do not need to install any third-party app if you want to capture and share what’s happening on your phone screen. You can also record with sound from your mic, device, or both.
- You can control all your connected devices by simply long pressing the power button, without having to open multiple apps. Interestingly, the power menu is a house to a digital wallet as well.
- There are now redesigned media controls and they have moved to quick settings for you to select where your audio output goes.
- The new Do Not Disturb lets you customize which apps or people are allowed to notify you when the mode is on.
- Android Auto will work wireless for all phones running Android 11 as long as you have a compatible vehicle.
- Auto-reset permission for your unused apps. This feature ensures that the apps you no longer use should not access your data. Android 11 will auto-reset their permissions and let you decide if you want to re-grant them the next time you use the app.
- One-time permissions allow you to grant single-use access to most sensitive permissions – microphone, camera, and location. The next time the app needs access to the sensors, it must ask you for your permission again.
- Voice access that lets you access your phone with voice has been upgraded in Android 11 as well. It now understands “screen content and context, and generates labels and access points for accessibility commands.”
- Screenshots now appear on the lower-left corner.
Note that if you are using Pixel 2 or above you’ll get additional features to organize and manage your phone, like app suggestions on the home screen based on daily routines. The update is coming to select phones from Xiaomi, Oppo, and Realme, other than OnePlus.
An OTA update to compatible Pixel phones has already begun rolling out. One can check for updates by going to Settings > System> System Update.