21 September 2020
Google has just rolled out Android 11 and it is not just limited to Pixel phones. When announcing the Android 11 release, Google also made this official that select phones from OnePlus will also be eligible to grab this new update. Soon after Google’s announcement, OnePlus took to its community forum to announce the first OxygenOS 11 Open Beta based on Android 11. Note that this new update is for OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro users.
OnePlus writes in its forum post,
Now faster and smoother with new design elements that add a bit of boldness to stock Android, we think the updated layout makes one-handed operation easier and more intuitive – and just gives you a better and more beautiful overall experience.
The OxygenOS 11 based on Android 11 finally brings the most-wanted Always-On display. It also adds the shortcut to dark mode in the quick settings so that you just pull down the quick settings and enable it whenever you like. There are also a new gaming toolbox, new themes in Zen Mode, and 10 new clock styles.
There is a long list of key updates in the changelog –
- Fresh new UI visual design brings you more comfortable experience with various optimizations of details
- Brand new weather UI supports dynamic switches between sunrise and sunset. You can have day and night at your hand now
- Optimized the brightness bar display in status bar, enabling you to quickly adjust it by pulling down quick settings.
- Game space
- Newly added gaming tools box for convenient switches of Fnatic mode, WeChat, QQ and Screen Recorder at one place (Enable it by swiping down from upper right/left corners of the screen in gaming mode)
- Newly added mis-touch preventionfeature. Enable it, swipe down from the top of the screen, click and the notification bar will pop out
- Ambient display
- Added Always-on ambient Display function, custom Schedule / All day option included. Path: Settings – Display – Ambient Display.
- Added 10 new clock styles. Path: Settings – Customization – Clock Style
- Newly added Insight clock style, a joint creation with Parsons School of Design. It will change according to the phone usage data. ( To set: Settings>Customization>Clock Style)
- Dark mode
- Added the shortcut key for Dark Mode, pull down the quick setting to enable.
- Supporting automatically turn on feature & customize time range. path: Settings – Display – Dark Mode – Turn on automatically – Automatically enable from sunset to sunrise / Custom time range.
- Zen Mode
- Added 5 new themes (ocean, space, grassland, Zen space1,Zen space2), and more timing options.
- Included the Group feature in Zen Mode, now you can invite your friends and enable the Zen Mode together
- Supporting Story function, automatically form weekly videos with photos and video in storage.
Make sure you have above 30% battery and a minimum of 3GB available storage space on your phone. Note that this is beta software and these builds are not as stable as official OTAs.