11 March 2021
Facebook has officially announced the merger of Messenger chats with Instagram direct messages (DMs). The merger was under testing for some time and is now rolling out to everyone around the globe. This will essentially allow users to stay connected with their Messenger contacts directly through Instagram DMs.
Once the feature becomes available for you, there will be a huge pop-up within the Instagram application making the announcement. It will highlight some of the benefits and allow users to choose whether to opt for the merger or keep it pending for the foreseeable future. Those who will opt-in will see their Instagram inbox also showing Messenger conversations. They will also get access to certain Messenger features to improve their chat experience.
Here is a list of features that will be coming users' ways after the merger:
- Communicate Across Apps: Seamlessly connect with friends and family across Instagram and Messenger by using either app to send messages and join video calls.
- Watch Together: Enjoy watching videos on Facebook Watch, IGTV, Reels (coming soon!), TV shows, movies, and more with friends and family during a video call.
- Vanish Mode: Choose a mode where seen messages disappear after they’re seen or when you close the chat.
- Selfie Stickers: Create a series of boomerang stickers with your selfie to use in conversation.
- Chat Colors: Personalize your chats with fun color gradients.
- Custom Emoji Reactions: Create a shortcut of your favorite emojis to react quickly to messages from friends.
- Forwarding: Easily share great content with up to five friends or groups.
- Replies: Respond directly to a specific message in your chat and keep the conversation flowing.
- Animated Message Effects: Add visual flair to your message with animated send effects.
- Message Controls: Decide who can message you directly, and who can’t message you at all.
- Enhanced Reporting and Blocking Updates: Now you can report full conversations in addition to single messages on Instagram, and receive proactive blocking suggestions across Instagram and Messenger when you add your accounts in the new Accounts Center.
This new merger is simply a step in Facebook's ultimate goal of linking all of its apps with each other. These include Facebook Messenger, Instagram, and WhatsApp. It wants to offer an experience where users can interact with friends/contacts on any app through any app.