28 July 2021
It has just been 10 days since the ZTE Axon 30 5G launched, one of the handfuls of phones to feature an under-display selfie camera. The smartphone is now adding one more thing to its list of unique features. It is now technically the world's first smartphone with a whopping 20GB of RAM. Yes, you read that right!
The high-end ZTE Axon 30 5G model comes with 12GB of RAM which is a physical RAM installed on the device. The additional 8GB of RAM has been added through a software update. It is what we call virtual RAM as it is not a physical RAM stick that gets installed. The technology here is to use a portion of the internal storage for tasks that are handled by a traditional RAM.
It means whenever Axon 30 5G users would want to use 20GB of RAM, their total onboard storage will get restricted to 248GB instead of the out-of-the-box 256GB capacity. This is how the whole virtual RAM concept works but whether it will be of any actual use, it will certainly not be as fast as having an actual physical RAM. And in the case of Axon 30, the default amount of RAM is already a lot for the vast majority of users.
- 6.92-inch Full HD+ AMOLED display with a 120Hz refresh rate, 10-bit color depth, and 100% DCI-P3 color gamut
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 870 processor
- 6GB and 12GB of RAM
- 128GB and 256GB onboard storage
- Quad rear cameras: 64-megapixel primary sensor with f/1.79 aperture, an 8-megapixel ultra-wide-angle sensor, a 5-megapixel macro sensor, and a 2-megapixel depth sensor
- 4,200mAh battery
- In-display fingerprint scanner
- MyOS 11 based on Android 11