01 October 2021
Fairphone is a company known for making sustainable, modular, and easy to repair smartphones using ethically sourced materials. It has announced the latest offering named Fairphone 4 5G. As the name suggests, this is the fourth-generation product from the company that announced its first phone in 2013.
The most unique thing about the Fairphone 4 is that it comes with a five-year warranty. This is applicable to every unit purchased before December 31st, 2022. The team is further promising at least two major Android upgrades and software support until 2025. It means if you are one of those who prefer to use a phone for as long as possible, this could be well worth the consideration.
The modular approach of the phone will allow users to take out and replace different parts whenever they want. These include displays, batteries, back covers, USB-C ports, loudspeakers, earpieces, rear cameras, and selfie cameras. The phone has a repairability score of 9.3/10 as per the French Repairability Index. It means can take care of replacing units themselves and the only thing they will need is a standard screwdriver.
- 6.53-inch Full HD+ (2340 x 1080 pixels) IPS LCD display with Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 750G processor
- 6GB and 8GB of RAM
- 128GB and 256GB internal storage
- 48-megapixel Sony IMX582 primary sensor with f/1.6 aperture and 48-megapixel ultra-wide-angle sensor with f/2.2 aperture
- 25-megapixel Sony IMX576 front camera with f/2.2 aperture
- 3,905mAh battery with 30W fast charging
- Android 11
- IP54 rating
The Fairphone 4 5G will cost you EUR 579 for the 6GB/128GB model and EUR 649 for the 8GB/256GB model. The phone is available in Grey and Green color options. There is also a Speckled Green color option but it is exclusive to purchases made through the Fairphone website and for the high-end variant.