21 October 2021
Samsung has launched the W22 5G, a foldable smartphone in China. The new phone is a successor to the last year’s Samsung W21 5G. Samsung has actually made the high-end model of the Galaxy Z Fold 3 available as the Samsung W22 5G for the Chinese market. So, hardware-wise, the all-new Samsung W22 is no different from the Galaxy Z Fold 3. It is just the outer appearance which has been changed to black and gold color scheme.
The themes and wallpapers follow the same color accent as well. Overall, this change makes the device look swanky. The rear panel also features a "Heart to the World" logo that has the same gold color.
Apart from needed aesthetic change, Samsung has just made some software tweaks so to distinguish the device from the Galaxy Z Fold 3. The Samsung W22 5G lacks Google Mobile Services and the company’s ‘Galaxy’ branding as well.
- 7.6-inch foldable AMOLED display with a QXGA (2,208x1,768 pixels) resolution, 6.2-inch cover display with HD+ resolution
- Snapdragon 888 5nm octa-core processor
- 16GB RAM
- 256GB storage
- Android 11, One UI 3.1.1
- 12MP triple rear cameras – wide, telephoto, and ultrawide
- 4MP under-display selfie camera, 10MP cover camera
- 4400mAh battery, 25W fast-charging
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS, USB Type-C 3.2
- S Pen support
The price of the Samsung W22 5G is CNY 16,999 (~$2642) for the lone 16GB+256GB storage variant. The phone comes in a Phantom Black color with a textured gold hinge.