24 September 2021
Durability is one of the crucial aspects of any smartphone if it wants to attract buyers. It becomes even more important for expensive devices like foldables. This is where Zack Nelson of Jerry Rig Everything YouTube channel comes into the picture as his durability test videos are well-known in the tech community. He has now performed his signature display scratch, fires, and bend tests on the Microsoft Surface Duo 2.
It is a phone that went official exactly two months ago and makes use of two separate displays connected to each other through a hinge. This is what makes it different from other foldables which have a single display that folds. Both display panels on the device feature Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection. Nelson discovered that the display started showing scratches at a level 6 and deeper grooves at a level 7 on the Mohs scale. This makes it the most scratch-resistant display on a foldable, especially when compared to the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 that starts showing scratches at just level 3.
The phone managed to maintain its integrity during the bend test. It should be noted that while it did show noticeable flexing when strength was applied, it did not break. The rest of the phone is made up of plastic including the side-mounted fingerprint scanner. It means if it ends up getting scratched, the scanner's performance will get affected. There is a possibility that it might not even work at all but that will mostly depend on how bad those scratches are and at what places.
184.5 x 145.2 x 5.5 mm
8.3 inches - 2688x1892 px
- 5.8-inch PixelSense AMOLED display (1344 x 1892 pixels) with Corning Gorilla Glass Victus on each side
- 90Hz refresh rate, HDR content, pixel density of 401ppi, 100% sRGB wide color gamut, DCI-P3, and a peak brightness of 800 nits.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 5G processor
- 8GB RAM
- 128GB/256GB/512GB onboard storage
- Triple cameras: 12MP wide-angle with f/1.7 aperture, 12MP telephoto with f/2.4 aperture, and 16MP ultra-wide-angle with f/2.2 aperture
- 12MP front camera with f/2.0 aperture
- 23W Microsoft Surface USB Type-C charger
- Android 11