28 February 2022
About a couple of months ago, Asus announced its Android 12 release timeline along with eligible devices. It is sticking to the promise as ZenFone 8 and ZenFone 8 Flip are now receiving Android 12 stable updates. Both of these phones were said to get the update in December 2021 and as we are bid farewell to the month, the company has managed to push the update out.
The update bears the firmware version 31.1004.0404.73 and weighs about 3GB in size. It is on the heftier side and we would suggest you connect with WiFi before beginning download. It will take some to download and once you are ready to install, make sure that your device has at least 50% battery charge.
Asus is recommending that you also backup your data before proceeding with Android 12. This is beneficial in situations where something might get wrong during the installation. It is also helpful if you chose to downgrade from Android 12 from Android 11 for any reason.
Here is the official ZenFone 8 Android 12 update changelog:
- Upgraded system to Android 12
- Revamped Mobile Manager, Contacts, Phone, File Manager, Calculator, Clock, Gallery, Weather, Sound recorder, Settings, Data Transfer, Local backup, Setup wizard, System update apps
- Adjusted Quick Settings panel, notification tray, and volume panel to Android 12 design
- Added privacy dashboard, camera and microphone indicators, show clipboard access, approximate location access, and microphone access features
- Replaced ASUS Safeguard with Android 12 Emergency SOS
- Introduced new widget page design in Launcher. Adjusted the position of the screenshot option and removed the hotseat app icons in the Overview page
- Removed the Quick Settings layout option in the Display settings
- ASUS Phone removed SIP calling support as Android 12 does not natively support SIP calling
- Some 3rd party apps are not compatible with Android 12 yet