13 May 2022
Sony has officially announced revamped PlayStation Plus subscription with different tiers and benefits. It is hoping to take on Microsoft Xbox's fan-favorite Xbox Game Pass with the new changes. It says that new membership options will provide more value for money and give players access to a catalog of more than 700 games.
The PlayStation Plus subscription will have four tiers starting June this year. These are named Essential, Extra, Premium, and Deluxe. Each of them provides certain perks to subscribers and is priced accordingly. While existing benefits of the subscription will continue to be there, the team has essentially merged PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now services for offering additional perks.
The announcement reveals that these plans will include titles like Death Stranding, God of War, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Mortal Kombat 11, and Returnal. It has plans to add more such titles in the future but if you were hoping for day one releases similar to how it happens on Xbox Game Pass, that will not happen. This is because Sony believes it is likely to have an effect on the quality of video games in the long run.
PlayStation Plus Essential:
- Same benefits as the current PlayStation Plus membership like two monthly downloadable games, exclusive discounts, cloud storage for saved games, and online multiplayer access
- United States: $9.99 monthly / $24.99 quarterly / $59.99 yearly
- Europe: €8.99 monthly / €24.99 quarterly / €59.99 yearly
- United Kingdom: £6.99 monthly / £19.99 quarterly / £49.99 yearly
- Japan: ¥850 monthly / ¥2,150 quarterly / ¥5,143 yearly
PlayStation Plus Extra:
- All benefits of the above tier
- Adds a catalog of up to 400 PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners. Games in this tier are downloadable for play
- United States: $14.99 monthly / $39.99 quarterly / $99.99 yearly
- Europe: €13.99 monthly / €39.99 quarterly / €99.99 yearly
- United Kingdom: £10.99 monthly / £31.99 quarterly / £83.99 yearly
- Japan: ¥1,300 monthly / ¥3,600 quarterly / ¥8,600 yearly
PlayStation Plus Premium:
- All benefits of the above tiers
- Adds up to 340 additional games including PS3 games available via cloud streaming and classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2, and PSP generations
- Cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP, and PS4 games is offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets where PlayStation Now is currently available
- Time-limited game trials for select new titles
- United States: $17.99 monthly / $49.99 quarterly / $119.99 yearly
- Europe: €16.99 monthly / €49.99 quarterly / €119.99 yearly
- United Kingdom: £13.49 monthly / £39.99 quarterly / £99.99 yearly
- Japan: ¥1,550 – monthly / ¥4,300 – quarterly / ¥10,250 yearly
PlayStation Plus Deluxe:
- Only available for markets that do not have PlayStation cloud streaming
- All the benefits of Essential and Extra tiers included
- Priced lower than the Premium tier but exact pricing varies depending on the region
An exact release date for these new PlayStation Plus tiers is unknown. Sony says it will begin rollout in June starting with several markets in Asia. It will be followed by North America, Europe, and the rest of the world as it hopes to cover the majority of the markets by the end of 2022's first half. There are also plans to expand cloud streaming to more markets but relevant details will be shared later.