30 April 2018
YouTube headquartered in San Bruno, California reportedly attacked by a 39-year old woman which has been identified as Nasim Najafi Aghdam. According to the police, the suspect died on the scene, apparently of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The woman opened-fire the headquarters and allegedly shot at least three people at YouTube’s campus on Tuesday afternoon.
Police came to YouTube headquarters in San Bruno, California around 1 pm local time. Aghdam shot three people in the courtyard of YouTube campus after which she killed herself. The shooter used a 9mm handgun and gave trouble to a 36-year old male, a 32-year old woman, both of them are in critical condition and a 27-year old woman who didn’t get any serious injury.
San Bruno Police has also shared the press release for details that write the Police Department received numerous 9-1-1 calls reporting gunshots at the YouTube Campus located at 901 Cherry Avenue in San Bruno.
Law enforcement officials believe that the shooting happened due to a domestic-related dispute. According to the law enforcement source, the suspect may have been targeting a boyfriend.
But, according to the NBC Bay Area Investigation Unit, the motive of the suspect seems to be different. The identified shooter posted rants about the company online last year. In a video posted in January 2017, she said, YouTube “discriminated and filtered“ her content. She also said, her channel used to get lots of views but it started receiving far fewer views post the filtration by the company.
Reportedly, in a Facebook post from February 2017, Aghdam blasted YouTube saying, “There is no equal growth opportunity on YouTube.”
The NBC Bay Area Investigative Unit has also found that the license plate on a car towed from YouTube’s campus Tuesday is registered to Aghdam.
Approximately, 1,100 people work in the complex and several employees were evacuated on the same afternoon when the incident happened.
Vadim Lavrusik, a product manager at the company tweeted the real-time state of the incident.
Active shooter at YouTube HQ. Heard shots and saw people running while at my desk. Now barricaded inside a room with coworkers.— Vadim Lavrusik (@Lavrusik) April 3, 2018
YouTube product manager Todd Sherman said that employees first thought there had been an earthquake. Sherman said he saw blood on the floor and the stairs.
We were sitting in a meeting and then we heard people running because it was rumbling the floor. First thought was earthquake. https://t.co/gmolQmRXm1— Todd Sherman (@tdd) April 3, 2018
Many videos and posts have also been reported after this incidence. Other executives also tweeted; Head of Games & VR/AR at YouTube –
Myself, and my entire team in San Bruno, are okay. Thank you for checking on all of us. If you believe in prayer, please keep our colleagues in mind.— Ryan Wyatt (@Fwiz) April 3, 2018
In a note to employees, Google CEO Sundar Pichai said,
“It’s with great sadness that I tell you — based on the latest information — four people were injured in this horrific act of violence. We’re doing everything we can to support them and their families at this time.”
Tim Cook also tweeted his concern and sent sympathy to the company, victims and their families.
From everyone at Apple, we send our sympathy and support to the team at YouTube and Google, especially the victims and their families.— Tim Cook (@tim_cook) April 3, 2018