01 October 2018
The Samsung’s highly anticipated flagship, the Galaxy Note 9, which is said to be fireproof has spontaneously caught fire in the purse of a New York-based real estate agent. Though during the launch of the Galaxy Note 9, recently, Samsung’s mobile chief DJ Koh said, “The battery in the Galaxy Note 9 is safer than ever".
In her lawsuit, Daine Chung said that she was using the handset in an elevator on September 3rd when it became “very hot” which forced to stop using it and place the phone in her purse. Suddenly, “she heard a whistling and screeching sound, and she noticed thick smoke” pouring from her purse, she alleged in the lawsuit.
Chung put the purse on the elevator floor and burnt her fingers in the process of taking out the Galaxy Note 9. Upon reaching the lobby, when the phone didn’t stop burning it was put into a bucket of water by a passerby, reports The New York Times. The user now demands unspecified damages from Samsung and a restraining order barring the sales of any Galaxy Note 9.
Though a lone incident, this case, reminds of the horror story of the doomed Galaxy Note 7 which had to be recalled due to faulty explosive batteries. This made Samsung recall all the devices and dump almost 2.7 Million Note 7 devices. The South Korean company later investigated and found out the reason of the explosions.
“We have not received any reports of similar incidents involving a Galaxy Note 9 device and we are investigating the matter,” a Samsung spokesperson said according to The New York Times. Incidentally, the $1000 phone comes with a carbon water liquid cooling system.
Samsung would be really hoping that this remains as a standalone incident of a battery catching fire. Else it would be facing severe losses both monetary and to its reputation as one of the leading smartphone brand globally.