12 November 2018
The OnePlus 5 and 5T have been top-notch performers and continue to be viable purchase options in spite of the OnePlus 6. This is not only because of the hardware that the OnePlus 5 and 5T come with but also because OnePlus continues to aid in terms of software updates. Both the OnePlus 5 and 5T have received two new OxygenOS Open Beta updates at the same time. This is possible mainly owing to the similar hardware which both are equipped with. The OnePlus 5 just received the OxygenOS Open Beta version 17 OTA while the OnePlus 5T has just received version 17.
The OnePlus 5 was launched earlier and therefore has a greater number of Open Beta (19 to be exact) as compared to the OnePlus 5T which has 17. Only the version numbers are different but both updates bring the exact same bug fixes, performance improvements, and new features to the OnePlus 5 and 5T. To get a better idea of the changes which the update brings, have a look at the changelog:
- Updated Android security patch to 2018.9
- Optimized UI for the Weather App
- Added manual connection method if unable to connect switch with QR code on the old device
- Supported backup and recovery for application data including the home screen, lock screen, and APP layout
- Bug fixes and support for more Android models
Do bear in mind that this isn’t the stable build of OxygenOS but the Open Beta build which is more of a community build aimed at rolling out the latest features to OnePlus users as fast as possible.